Dylan Goodale – 5’5”
And no we are not talking about his height…well, maybe. A man of many talents, Dylan Goodale has a certain “spunk” about him. Dylan grew up on the garden island of Kauai and was inspired early on to escape through various art forms. Reading, writing, and photography are some of his earliest memories he carries with him through present day. Through professional surfing Dylan has been fortunate enough to travel to every continent of the world. Although travel is mundane to the surfing lifestyle, Dylan embraced his passion for story telling to let us all in on his adventures to far off destinations that most of us can only dream of visiting.
We asked Dylan a few questions to give us [and you] insight into the world through his eyes…and lens.
Purps: While traveling frequently for surfing, there tends to be some down time at one point or another; in between sessions, swells, etc. What are your five favorite activities, aside from surfing, that you indulge in in your free time?
DG: There's definitely a lot of down time while on the road. F of my favorite activities to keep myself occupied are taking photos, writing in a journal, reading, getting touristy and exploring wherever I may be, and coffee brainstorm freak outs with my friends.
Purps: In order to keep in good physics form for contests, is there anything you do on a regular basis to maintain top physical form?
DG: It's hard to keep a full on routine while traveling. It can be so much of a get up and go lifestyle which kind of X's out a uniform scheduled workout. I travel with a foam roller, do a fair bit of yoga and other stretching to stay limber. All in all, surfing all day can leave you a lot more sore than the average workout.
Purps: We caught wind that you are an avid reader, mainly passing time in planes, trains, and automobiles while traveling from one destination to the next. What are your favorite books/authors and why?
DG: I've been a pretty avid book reader since I was fairly young. Favorite authors are probably Ayn Rand and Charles Bukowski. Rand for her diverse ideals and character depth and Bukowski for his complete rawness. Favorite book is The Complete Adventures of Peter Pan. Forever a mischievous youth!
Purps: - 5 things you hope to experience before you die.
- The Northern Lights
- Hot Air Balloons in Turkey
- Living in another country for at least 6 months
- Buying a house on Kauai
- Becoming fluent in another language
Purps: We know one of your hobbies aside from surfing consists of taking photos with accompanying words or a short story, giving a first hand account into a particular trip or event that is a sometimes irregular point of view in the surfing world. Can you show us your 5 favorite photos and why they are the way they are?
1. This is one of my favorite photos just because of how many memories looking at that Pinetree sparks. My entire youth revolves around that tree.
2. New Zealand during Cyclone Pam. This is also more of a memory type photo. It's nothing amazing when it comes to framing or quality but it brings me back to an all day affair surfing perfect waves.
3. Girls are always fun to take photos of. But not like they are modeling. I try to get candid photos of these girls that are used to throwing up their little model faces. Those are the best. Candid, natural, and comfortable.
4. I love the vibrance of the rose and her tattoos together. One of my favorites for sure.
5. Vivian Maier is one of my favorite photographers. The way she captured the average person going about their daily life so candidly and raw made me try to follow suit when I was last in Japan. This one makes me laugh every time. Shot from the hip while riding a bike in Tokyo.